EXCITING NEWS: We are building something to make it easier for you and your family to bank and save. SIGN UP HERE

Budgeting tips for beginners

3 minutes minutes read

Budgeting is one of the best tools you can use to achieve financial freedom. Creating a budget will help you pay your debts faster and achieve your financial goals. With good budgeting habits, you can even manage your money to be able to have money saved at the end of each month.

Budgeting can help you shape the way you use your money, and it begins by only having to make a few adjustments to your current spending habits. In this article you will find some great tips to get better at budgeting.

  • Budgeting apps

There are some great apps that can help you set up a budget. In this article you can learn about some of those apps. Ultimately, having a budgeting app will give you the advantage of easily tracking every dollar you earn and making better decisions with your money.

  • Create a budget before the month begins

Having a standard budget for every month will eventually become more difficult to manage because your expenses are not always the same. Every month is different. Having a list of recurring expenses is good, but do not exclude your one-time expenses that may come up. Adjusting your budget for each month will help you stay within your means.

  • Budgeting to zero

Budgeting to zero is giving a purpose to every dollar you earn. If you have no clue where all your money goes every month, this tip is for you. For example, if you earn $1,000, create a budget where you give a purpose to every dollar of those $1,000. It can be fixed payments, debt, savings, wants, needs, house repairs, etc. The objective of this budgeting tip is to help you keep track of your money so you can make better financial decisions in the future.

  • “Rules”

In this article we talk about the two different rules that people can use to manage their income and achieve their financial goals. First you have the “30%” rule. With this rule you are to use 30% of your gross income for housing. The remaining 70% will be used for other expenses, which can be necessary expenses (like debt repayments) or unnecessary ones (like buying a new speaker). The other rule people use is the “50/30/20” rule. By sticking to this rule, you will need to define your wants and your needs. You will spend 50% of your income on needs, 30% on wants and 20% on savings and debt repayment.

  • Debt repayment

As you have seen, every tip we have explained considers debt repayment. This is because you have to prioritize it. Focusing on paying your debts will save you money in the long run. By doing this, you will potentially avoid paying a ton of money on interest payments.

  • The unexpected

You can try to create a buffer in your budget. You can certainly plan your month ahead of time and be prepared for your expenses each month, but none of us has the ability to see into the future as an emergency might come up. This spare money can help you face these emergencies in case they show up.

  • Track your progress

Setting up a goal is no fun if you are not able to see how you are doing. Setting a goal and tracking how close to it you are getting with your budget is a great motivator to stick to your budget. Eventually you will learn to enjoy the process of achieving your goals and even see the process as a thrilling challenge.

  • Keep everything organized

Keeping your receipts and bills organized is a good way to track your expenses. Also, in case there is a mistake, you can easily find them and fix the problem. 

  • Goals

We have talked about tracking your progress, but in order to track progress, a goal needs to exist. Set a realistic goal that can be achieved in a realistic time. With a goal in mind, you will have more motivation to stick to your budget, and it will have a purpose. Your goal can be something material or a trip for example. The point of this is that you have something you will be willing to budget for.

  • Don’t punish yourself

Every habit takes some time to maintain, so don’t feel bad if you make mistakes. Getting used to something new can take a few months, so you should focus on your daily decisions in order to achieve your long-term goals.


Arturo Mendez

See author's posts